Saturday, March 19, 2011

Photographying Chateau d'Oex


Chateau d’Oex is a charming small village in the Canton de Vaud that holds the world famous hot air balloon festival every last week of January. I was fortunate enough to be in Switzerland during the period and decided to check out the festival.

The village was bursting with ballooners and enthusiastic despite the biter cold Saturday morning. The sun was shinning in a cloudless sky. I arrived early to guarantee a good location to view all the action. I took advantage of the blue sky to photograph the chateau on top of the mountain.
Image 1 - Chateau d'Oex


The balloons started to inflate at the bottom of the hill. I got really excited. I couldn’t wait to see all the colourful balloons up in the air with the contrast of the blue sky and the Alps on the background. I position myself at the chateau on the top of hill and waited…
Image 2 - Hot Air Balloons getting ready for the Festival

A wind started blowing slowly and then gaining some more strength. The sky filled with clouds and the balloons deflated. Due to the weather condition the balloons would not be flying that day. 

I was heartbroken!      

Image 3 - Chateau d'Oex village

I went back down hill, sat down on an improvised food court for the festival and had a delicious vin chaud with friends. The day is never lost… I will just have to come back next January!!!

 You can check out more information about Chateau d’Oex and the Balloon Festival at the official site http://www.chateau-doex.ch/en/chateaudoex_en

No comments:

Post a Comment