Thursday, March 17, 2011

Photo Tip - Google Earth

Confession: I am addicted to GOOGLE!!!

I have been using Google for quite some time to plan my photo shots. First I use the web to see places that might interest me, then I look at the images to get inspiration, and finally I use the map to get directions and public transportation access – I have to admit that I don’t follow the instructions all the time and end up getting lost, but always find myself in a very lovely location to photograph.

Just recently, I have come across another capability of Google. The Google Earth on the map section is absolutely fantastic! After I go through the steps described above, I switch my view to Google Earth and now I can see the exact location, elevation, walking pathways, docks, trees, and any other item that is in the scene.

This tool is fabulous and helps the photo shooting planning process even further, especially on sunrise shootings.

Before, I would have to arrive at the location and scout for an open area or for the indentation or elevation to achieve the image that I had envisioned. Lots of times, during dawn I would struggle with viewing my path and surrounding, ending up settling for a not so perfect position with the fear of missing the light.

Now, I can visualize the path I will take before actually going there!

Just be aware, that not everything is perfect with Google Earth. First, the image was taken at a certain point in time. So, if it is a specific season you might encounter different things. The images are normally during spring/ summer therefore all places are green and full of foliage on the tress. Second, changes in the pathways and constructions might have happened since Google Earth registered the area. You might see a building where there was none and vice-versa. Third, Mother Nature is really unpredictable!

Here is my funny story on how Google Earth can be deceiving:
When I planned my photo shooting at Gruyere, I used Google to view some of the images to decide on where to go, then the map to see how to get there, and finally the earth capability to determine exactly where on the lake shore I wanted to be to photograph the Lac Gruyere at sunset. Here is the print screen from Google Earth.

Image 1 - Print Screen from Google Earth

To my absolute surprise, when I arrived at the location for my so expected sunrise shooting, the lake was completely dry. This has been a really mild winter in Switzerland and with the absence of snow and rain the lake has dried up. Here is a panoramic record that I took while standing IN THE MIDDLE of the lake.

Image 2 - Panoramic of what it was supposed to be Lac Gruyere
(click on the image to see in full size)
After the lake fiasco, I have talked to some locals that told me that it is very unusual for the lake to be dry, but because of the characteristics of this season they do not expect it to fill it up until next fall or winter. 

In summary, Google Earth is an amazing tool to help on the planning, but you might encounter changes on the real world. In any case, just find something else, adapt your plan and keep shooting!!! All I can say is that the location would have been perfect for the envisioned sunset shot. I will go back... Lac Gruyere you have not defeated me. J

To amuse me, google Lac Gruyere for images and map… you will be able to see how the lake was supposed to look like and why I selected the location. 


2 comments:

  1. Dear sis,
    I love your blog! I've already become a follower - maybe I can learn something about taking pictures this time...
    Love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniela,
    Love this site you have created to share with your friends and look forward in being a part of it later! Your photography and story telling skills are beautifully portrayed and chronicled! In particular since you asked, your depictions of the castle on the water through various lights of day and the dock leading out on the water towards the mountains are stunning! I also love the shot of the pensive 'photographer' taking in her surrounding beauty over a park bench. Your friend did you justice:)
    I particularly look forward to spending some 'jail time' in the same castle as you....heheheheee.
    I am so excited about joining you on your journey that I loose my breath just thinking about it...someone hand me some oxygen;)
    Meanwhile I'll just look forward to seeing and hearing more about this incredible journey you are on and cheer you on....
    PS also have to comment on the wonderful panoramic, where there was once a lake. Incredible!
    Hugs,
    Kat:)

    ReplyDelete