Monday, March 21, 2011

Photo Tip - Personal Safety

A concern that I have is my personal safety. There are so many things that can go wrong when you are photographing, especially if you are alone. If you are like me, you are probably looking to everything around you and forgetting to see where you step, or even worse - which is not my case - not paying attention to the turns that you are taking and can ended up lost.

The risks to personal safety range from a variety of factors such as people trying to steal the equipment, injuring yourself in the middle of nowhere, or even wildlife defensive behaviour.

The crack of dawn is an active time for wildlife as well as a difficult time to see your surroundings. So, if you are an early risers like me, pay extra attention to my 10 tips for personal safety when photographing alone.

1 - I always, and I can't stress it enough, ALWAYS, prepare an email with my plan of the day. For example what train I am getting, what stop I will take, where am I planning to go with approximate timing. I send it to my boyfriend even when I am photographing in a group. 


2 - I make sure that my cell phone is charged and at hand. I place it on my right jacket pocket or right pants pocket in the summer.


3 - I check periodically if I am at a location that has service for my cell. 


4 - I text my boyfriend in case plans change during the day - they often do. Currently, since I am photographing alone, I tend to check in every 4 hours with a quick text, so he can keep track of where I am going.


5 - I don't like to carry a bell, the constant noise takes away from the peace and quietness of many moments throughout the day. So when I am hiking a trail with possible wildlife I walk making lots of noise. I whistle or even talk to myself. I really cannot sing, otherwise it would be another effective way. Animals hide or run away when they notice human presence. What you want to avoid is to startled wildlife. This is the moment that they attack as a defensive behaviour. Now, if you are trying to photograph wildlife... disregard this tip and you are at your own risk. hehehe

6 - I used to carry a maze (pepper spray) which is very effective against people and animals, but it is tough traveling with it. Airports will make a big fuss if you have one with you. If you are just traveling locally, it might be a good option. But just make sure that if you have one you actually know how to operate it well and you keep it at hand.


7 - Have a flashlight! I carry on my bag a LED flashlight that is hand rechargeable. This way I don't even have to worry about the batteries. I also have a head light that attaches to a hat. This second headlight is very useful for being seen on high traffic areas (an heritage from my running days). Some people might prefer reflective gear.


8 - Talk to locals. A simple "Hi" when passing by can help you out on unpredictable situations. They are a wealthy source of information and tips when needed. They will be able to point out any hazard you might encounter or show an even better location. 

9 -  Stay safe! If I believe that the trails, the rocks or whatever the situation I am, is not safe, I do not proceed. Prevention is the best remedy. If the rock is too slippery, if the trail is too icy or the edge is way too close, I just stop myself. 

10 - Find other photographers to join you. I guess that's what I have been trying to do lately, luring friends and family to come and visit. 

Are you in?
Image1 - View of our apartment at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment