Thursday, March 24, 2011

Photo Tip - How to include yourself in an image without running?

If you have been following my blog, you will have noticed that I am more and more including myself in photos. Sometimes just as a record shot, other times to give perspective or livelihood to the image.


Image 1 - Sunset at Vidy in Lausanne taken with remote control trigger


For the longest time I would set up the camera to the composition I wanted and using the timer on 20 seconds, I would press the shutter and run to the place that I had pre-thought for myself. Then, after 1 shot, I had to go back and repeat the process. 


Depending on the composition, 20 seconds might not be enough, or it might be dangerous for you to run back and forth, so I have started using a remote control. I never made the decision to buy one. But when I bought a battery pack from some e-bay site, the remote control came as part of the package. And it has proven to be a light and handy item to have around.


What I do now is to set up the camera in remote control with timer mode for 2 seconds. This allows me to press the shutter from a distance and still hide the remote control before the image is taken. 


For this sunset shot at Lake Geneva, the rocks were slippery and far from the camera, the remote control made it possible to achieve the result I had envisioned without risking getting hurt, after all I always place safety first. 


Another thing that I tend to do is to bracket 3 shoots in the camera just in case I am not 100% sure of the exposure. Remember, you are not in the shot yet when reading the exposure, this way you will avoid repeats. Oh, and don't forget to move around a couple of times. On the example above, I had first sat down on a rock further higher, only to realize that I was merging with the tree.

In any case, it is still trial and error. But at least, I don't have to run back and forth until the right image anymore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment