Friday, April 22, 2011

Trail Talk



I have been photographing alone for a while now, and even though I really enjoy my friends company on photo shoots, there is something about the quietness and the freedom that being alone gives you. I can decide where to go, at what time, and for how long I want to stay. But I do miss the photo interaction that you have with a photo bud, such as the development of the itinerary for the day, pointing out something extraordinary that you have seen, and sharing images during breakfast after a sunrise shooting. 


In summary, I do enjoy the freedom of being by myself because I can change plans on the spot, but I also enjoy the planning when going out with someone else. They are polar opposite experiences and each have its advantages and disadvantages.


Now, my biggest issue is with random trail talks. Believe me, I have no problem in stopping and talking briefly with locals, exchanging some information with other photographers on location, or taking a picture for a couple that would like for a change to be in a photo together. The key word here is BRIEFLY! 


For those that know me well, you are probably thinking that I am going crazy, because I am quite the social butterfly and the chatter, but when I am photographing I am in my own zone. I am concentrated, looking around to see things, scouting for a better foreground for a landscape image, or searching for unique angles. Photographer friends are doing the same thing, so you exchange a couple of sentences here and there and move back to your own vibe again.


The biggest issue with random trail talk, is that you are trying to capture something in a moment and someone sees your camera and tripod, and a torrent of questions start. I don't like being impolite, so I normally take the time to answer all the questions, giving my undivided attention for the talker, and then the moment is gone! 


The worst was the other day on a very secluded trail where I was trying to photograph some birds that kept coming back to the same location and this lady stopped by and stood there chatting for over half an hour. My short attention span was gone by the time that she left... even the birds got bored! I am not sure what to do in a situation like this. I stayed there interacting with her, even though my body language was clearly telling her I was not interested. I don't feel comfortable ignoring the person and going back to my equipment, I think it would just be rude. 


So, the moment was lost, I was frustrated, the birds abandoned the location in total boredom, but I guess at least I made the day of that lady. Not everything was lost after all. 

What is your most creative way of getting away from random talkers?

5 comments:

  1. You made some excellent points here, Daniela. You are very much like me when it comes to photography and the buddy system. Now when you're alone....there is a way to keep people at bay, so to speak without saying a word or being rude. Just look at the person, bring the right hand index finger in front of your mouth (to indicate quietness) at the same time point with your left hand index in a direction away from you (doesn't matter where) all the time with a look of pleading in your eyes. This way...you have gently nudged away the person without being rude and showed them that you are waiting for something important to happen and you need the quiet and solitude around you. Having the camera in front of you and using these signs should be a very universal language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi Dani
    Estou aqui acompanhando suas histórias e achei boa essa opção de sua amiga Kat.
    Dá um sorrisinho pro intruso e faça um sinal de que já já você fala com ela. Naquele momento é importante o silêncio mesmo. Estou gostando muito do seu blog. Embora não entenda tudo, às vezes tenha que colocar a tradução. Mas vou seguindo. beijos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kat, I loved it! I will make sure to practice it next week... maybe you can demonstrate it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi Le, que otimo que vc esta acompanhando e esteja gostando do blog. Alem de tudo, vai praticando o seu ingles tambem, ne? Se tiver alguma duvida eh so perguntar que eu explico em portugues tambem. hehehe Beijos,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mais ou menos eu entendo o sentido. Entendo mais o que está escrito do que o que ouço. Mas muita coisa mais técnica não entendo. Tenho aqui uma ferramenta já ligada no meu notebook que faz tradução simultânea se necessário. É uma tradução meia boca, mas quebra um galho. Então, misturando o que entendi lendo e a tradução meia boca, consigo captar tudo. Onde você está agora? beijos

    ReplyDelete