Friday, April 1, 2011

Photo Tip - Layers

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word Layers? Photoshop!

No, no. That's not the type of layers I am talking about. My tip is regarding layers of clothes. 

The weather in Switzerland is absolutely crazy. It might be sunny yet a storm will form within minutes. Due to the many lakes, mountains and altitude, you have to be prepared for it all.


My recommendation is to dress in layers from head to toe. If you think I am exaggerating I can recount my experience while photographing in Zermatt. I was sweating in just my under shirt, within 15 minutes from the sun hiding behind the mountain (still 2 hours till sunset), I was freezing even though I had all my layers back on, including snow pants, hat and double gloves!


So, here is my every day packing for a Switzerland shooting experience in the end of winter and beginning of spring (and don't forget that this has been a mild winter and really warm early spring):


- Breathable under shirt (running type)
- Exercise tights (running type)
- Fleece
- Waterproof and windbreaker jacket with separate fleece linen
- Hiking pants
- Snow pants
- Synthetic thin warm gloves (running type)
- Thick warm fingerless gloves with a mitten attachment - with the advance of touch screens they are now everywhere
- Ski socks
- Synthetic warm hat (running type)
- Thick warm winter hat
- Baseball cap (running type)


Yes, I was/ am a runner, but there is another reason for the recommendation of the running type materials. First, the technology involved on the development of special materials for running are perfect for photographers as well. Second, we also have to endure long hours out in the open and our bodies will keep warm better if the moisture stays away from the skin. 


In addition, by wearing runner's under pants and under shirts I can change layers anywhere, including from my hiking pants to snow pants. As I did when Zermatt! 


The double layered gloves have saved my pictures more than once, because if my fingers get too cold I am not able to use the small dialers on the camera or change filters. By double layering with a fingerless warm glove, I can keep my hands warm with the thinner layer underneath while still being dexterous enough to operate my equipment. If the extremities of your body are warm, then you will not feel as cold. This is the reason for the ski socks and double hat.


For late spring and summer, my main change is on leaving a couple of things home such as snow pants, the extra fleece, the second layer of hat and gloves and I change the ski socks to just normal hiking socks. 


My motto is "It is better to carry a little extra than have to abandon a photo shoot!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment