Thursday, April 28, 2011

Photographers are complainers!



Photographers are complainers!!! 
Yeah, yeah, yeah, we are!!!


If you don't agree with me, just keep reading and I am pretty sure you will be changing your mind by the end of this post.


Let's start with the most common complain, the weather. Have you ever seen a photographer 100% satisfied with the weather condition? If it is sunny, well, then there is no clouds in the sky to reflect the light. If it is cold, then the batteries will run out faster. 


The second most common complain is the light. We all agree that the sunrise and sunset are the best times of the day to photograph, but is it worth complaining that the light is too harsh mid day? Guess what, that's exactly what we do instead of looking for alternatives such as shooting inside or focusing on other subjects that do not including the sky. Another alternative is to process images, write a blog post or take a nap!


Third on my list of complains is the weight that we carry. It is that simple, do you want to have a 500mm 2.8f/stop lenses? Then you have to carry the monstrosity with its own tripod in any of your hikes! I can't stand carrying my tripod but I know it is for the greater good!  


Fourth type of complain is how early sunrise is during summer. Yes, if you leave on the extremity of the hemispheres you will have variation on the duration of the day. If that's such a big deal for you, just move closer to the Equator where the days are generally the same length throughout the year. 


You are still not convinced that we are complainers? My fifth one is how about the amount you spend in photography during the year? I hear so many, "Wow, this year I went over-budget with my equipment purchases" and in combination with this complain comes how much photographers make with their image. Yes, it is very low, close to nothing... if you actually make anything out of it besides the friends and family compliments.


Belive me, I am a complainer myself, but  I would not change a minute anything. I love photographing each day more and more. It does not mean that I will stop complaining, but I just want to make sure that we all come to an agreement that complaining is part of the day to day work of a photographer.


What are your complaints? 



1 comment:

  1. I'm having the time of my life Daniela!! You're the perrrrfect shooting partner and friend:))
    I can hardly wait for our next adventure......

    ReplyDelete