Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cable Cars



Yesterday I came to a sad realization, maybe it was just an acceptance more than a realization. In any case, what really matters is that I am TERRIFIED of cable cars. Yes, that's right, I am truly scarred of being lifted above the ground by just a cable.


While clenching my sweaty hands around the bar handle, watching my knuckles turn white, and taking deep breaths to avoid hyperventilating, it all started to make sense. 


When I was a child, we used to go on vacations to Campos do Jordao in Brasil. While all the kids would be asking their parents to go up the chair lift to Morro do Elefante, a local attraction where you can see the small Swiss like town bellow, I would be secretly praying for my parents to say no. Instead, they always thought it was such a great idea and there we were on our way up on a single chair lift! Yeah, you've read it right, SINGLE!!!


Image 1 - Single chair lift for Morro do Elefante in Campos do Jordao, Brasil
www.seudestino.net/campos-do-jordao/


It took me 34 years to actually visit the Pao de Acucar (Sugar Loaf) in Rio de Janeiro. Before going with John to Rio in 2009, I had NEVER been to this amazing trademark of my country. The reason? You need to take a cable car up the hill! Since it was the first time that John was visiting Rio, I did not want to ruin his experience. Okay, I have to admit, after getting through the cable car, the view is fantastic! Rio de Janeiro is a place that everyone should put on their bucket list with many other Brazilian cities, but this is a completely different blog... 


Image 2 - Cable Car for Pao de Acucar in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil


Then, there were all the seasons of snowboarding that I have never been able to master getting off the chair lift. I was always so petrified during the way up the hill that when we arrived and I actually had to focus on getting off without falling or taking down all the other people seating right next to me, it was impossible. How can you snap back from such a frightening moment and then be able to balance yourself with just one leg attached to a board on a really slippery surface? Yeah, it is a recipe for disaster.


In Switzerland, I have realized that I've been using excuses such as: "I can hike the trail up instead and find a great view that nobody else has photographed yet." or "Oh, that's too bad that this is not included in my pass." Hey, I am ready to do anything to avoid a cable car! 


Last week though, I had no choice. There are many places in Switzerland that are accessible only by cable car. This was a 6 people car that would take me to Trubsee on the middle of Mount Titlis. In the car in front of me, this mom and 5 year old daughter were having a blast! I on the other hand, had to stop in the middle of the trip (it is a two stage cable car) to catch some air. I phoned John and asked if he thought it was normal for people to have motion sickness in cable cars. He just laughed. Guess what, it is not motion sickness, it is cable car fear! 


Image 3 - Trubsee Cable Car


At last, yesterday I ventured myself one more time from Lauterbrunnen to Murren, only to finally admit to myself and to the world that I am scarred, afraid, terrified, frightened and panicky of cable cars and chair lifts!!!

But the views of the top of the mountains are worth the hand sweating moments. I guess I will continue to torture myself once in a while in the search of the perfect image. 

2 comments:

  1. Your suffering certainly paid of in the long run:)) Some great shots here! Not to mention the incredible feast for the eyes that you must have experienced!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can certainly overcome our fears. Keep it up with the experience and the excellent photos! beijos

    ReplyDelete