Sunday, July 17, 2011

WG - Proud to be Portuguese

As featured at Federation Internationale de Gymnastique website for the 14th World Gymnaestrada 2011 in Lausanne






LAUSANNE (SUI), FIG Office, July 14, 2011: I was born in Brazil into an Italo-Portuguese family. Recently I acquired my Portuguese citizenship but it wasn’t until the 14th World Gymnaestrada’s Portuguese night that I discovered how truly Portuguese I am!

The Portuguese delegation brought to Lausanne all of their tradition of Fado, the traditional nation’s rhythm that is characterised by all the emotion of their people. The lyrics are about day-to-day routine and many times are related to the loss of loved ones or the 
“saudades” – the Portuguese word to express the feeling of missing someone or something.

When I first entered the Malley Hall I was overwhelmed with the amount of Portuguese people waving their flags and chanting POR-TU-GAL in unison. Ms. Isabel Mendes is a Portuguese national from Vila Real, Tras-os-Montes, who has adopted Switzerland as her home over 26 years ago. However, her heart has not changed nationalities, she makes sure to keep all the countries roots in her family. When she saw on TV about World Gymnaestrada and the Portuguese night, she got onto the internet immediately to buy tickets. She came with her family to support her country’s athletes, but overall to calm the homesickness of her heart with all the Fados.

The Portuguese night did not disappoint her!

The theme was kept throughout the night, with images of the country’s beauties being projected in the screen and the music selection from big names of Portuguese Fado such as Amalia Rodrigues and Carlos do Carmo to name a few.

Another very proud Portuguese in the audience was Carlos Branco who waved his large flag to the crowd. He came from Portugal with the group
 Clube Desportivo Escola Secondaria Miguel Torga.The group that brings 80 gymnasts to Lausanne as Carlos said“Gymnastics is for all, but someone also needs to be behind the scenes to support. I wish I could be in two places at the same time to participate in the show.”

The gymnasts delivered on everyone’s expectations. The Fado was danced by all groups and adapted to their own type of performance. The creativity of the choreographers and the use of the music were a true show. To the delight of the audience, a group danced hip-hop to the rhythm of Fado.

I followed every movement with my undivided attention and every song with the thump of my heart. When the song 
“Uma casa Portuguesa” (A Portuguese Household) by Amalia Rodrigues started playing, it hit me hard on how proud I am to be Portuguese. I got teary eyed and home sick, this used to be my late grandmother’s favorite song that she would sing while cooking my preferred dish bolinho de palmito.

Thanks World Gymnaestrada for providing so many emotional moments for gymnasts, volunteers, and spectators!



 
http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcontent/content/news/0,10869,5249-203941-221164-48942-314175-news-item,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment