Sunday, May 8, 2011

Photo Tip - Self-Timer


There are some photo shoots that turn out to be a complete disaster, but like everything else in life you have to take advantages of these moments to learn new things.

As one says, if life gives you lemons, make a delicious lemonade! That is what I have done on a very rainy where all my camera gear has decided to malfunction. 

When I am shooting landscape, I always have my camera on a tripod and to completely avoid any camera shake, I use a shutter release cable. Even if the speed is not low, I recommend using the shutter release. The main reason is that when depressing and releasing the shutter button the camera will experience a minimum movement, which can cause camera shake.

In any case, during this workshop my shutter release cable broke (together with my main lenses!). The wires came loose from overuse and it would work only when it felt like. Very frustrated with the situation and not being able to think straight, the workshop leader suggested that I use the self-timer of the camera.

Aha! It was the perfect solution! Now, when I need – which means that I have either forgotten my new and well maintained shutter release cable or I am too lazy to pick it up form my camera gear bag that I have left in the car – I activate the self-timer at 2 seconds.

What it does is when I depress the shutter speed from the camera, and release it there are still 2 seconds for the small camera movement provoked by my hand weight to be eliminated.

Thanks Rob Kennedy! You have saved that shooting and many others afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment